Saturday, September 02, 2006

Rock-wall climbing on 25 Aug

*Phew*
The Sept break is finally here. So relieved to be able to sleep a minimum of 8 hrs before i pull myself out of bed...with the option of jumping right back in.haha....

Last saturday, for the first time i went to climb the rock-wall at Yishun Safra along with S, C, L and 3 of L's colleagues. Had been a long time since I last saw L, and it was fun catching up with her. The walls at Safra are much higher than the one in our school, one being 18 m tall and the other being 25 m. If i'm not wrong, the one in school is about 10 m in height. Below are some of the pics of the walls....





















This is the 18 m tall one, which is the first one that I attempted to climb. Has been such a long time since I last climbed, so was feeling a little nervous. Plus the wall is so much taller than the ones that I've climbed before...PLUS, I was super sleepy and tired from the previous week of marking. Haha...but nevertheless managed to reach the top of this one, though it took me a little longer than usual...heh..




















This one is the 25 m wall. Looks scarily tall doesn't it? I also think so, haha.. Was quite reluctant to try it actually, coz it looks SO difficult!! So I actually took a loooong rest after my first climb to watch L, S and C climb before I finally went to climb this one. Think i managed to scale more than 3/4 of the wall...quite an achievement to me. :) Can you actually spot a person on the wall? That's L climbing ;)


























This is a picture of the 18 m wall (again) but this time shown with the wall attached beside it called a "chimney". The chimney is more challenging than the normal walls because there are hardly any handholds to cling onto as you make your way up, just lotsa cracks to slip your fingers into.. and NOPE, I didn't try to climb it.














This is C climbing the chimney, see the way one has to twist and turn the body in order to manouvere upwards??






















This last pic of the walls there is an interesting one. It is lined with STYROFOAM! It's a wall that's meant for training up ICE-CLIMBING. That's why the guy on the wall is holding this hammer-thingy that is used to pierce into the foam before he kicks his spikey ice shoes into the wall to move upwards. Pretty interesting...I've never seen this in Singapore before..














L and I looking triumphant after our climbs :)















After climbing and a quick shower, we're off to crystal jade for lunch and catching up with one another.. :)

No comments: