Saturday, November 11, 2006

Perak Trip, 6th - 8th Nov '06

I just came back from an NCC adventure trip to Perak. Was really fun I must say. The pic from my previous post shows the lot of us who went from the CHS Land unit, a total of 10 boys plus me. There were I think, 9 schools who went in total, and 8 officers who accompanied the whole lot. Basically, there were 3 main activities, white-water rafting, canyoning (i.e. abseiling down from a water fall!) and caving.

So we travelled for almost an entire day on the 6th to reach Perak. And to reach our campsite, we had to load up onto smaller lorries and vans coz the little roads in the village couln't take big buses. The ride in was interesting..haha..more interesting for the boys i suppose. Coz there are trees on both sides of the road, so those who were standing in the lorry were habitually getting smacked by leaves and branches that were sticking inwards towards the roads. The guys had to keep dodging and hold onto each other to maintain their balance and all... =P

The campsite was a pretty decent one, with huts for the teachers to live in, and the usual tents for the cadets to stay. There are even proper toilets and all. Nice ;) I was thinking that the officers would be sleeping in tents too..but we had little huts..though it was still sleeping on the floor, still, I was pleasantly surprised.




The cadets' tents.









See the water? That's the water that we bathe with ;)









And this is a view from the window of my little hut that we stayed in.. :)





Next morning, we set off for our water activities. Abseiling was first up. I've done abseiling more than once before, but this time round, it was going to be down a waterfall! Felt quite excited. We had to take a short ride in the lorry to get to the waterfall, and so I had a small share of being smacked by leaves and twigs along the way too..haha.

Upon reaching the waterfall, we could see that the water was quite rapid. Nice. On top of having to remember how to abseil, we also had to make sure that the gushing waters at the waterfall didn't displace our footing as we made our way down the waterfall..face being splashed by darting water. Was a really fun experience! Spent almost 80% of my time there taking pictures of my CHS cadets, using my ziplocked-bagged-camera..haha..didn't want to go home with a camera full of water you know.








My 2 boys abseiling down together.















This is me :)





As you can tell, my picture is clearer, coz the camera was out of the ziplock bag!!! *faint*
Heh, but thankfully it's more hardy than I think it is, so it's still working now. *phew*

Next up after lunch was white-water rafting. It was so fun!! The instructor just keeps giving us simple instructions and we just paddle according to what he says... "paddle forward!.....paddle backwards!....relax!...hang on!..." I must say that the particular instructor who was in my raft was a very experienced one, coz my raft hardly got stuck in our 2.5 hours journey..while other rafts were perpetually getting stuck at the rocks that were in the rapids. Think we were only stuck like...twice? ;)
But my instructor is also a tricky one..he tried to capsize our raft in the calm waters! Haha..so scheming. While we went into calm waters, he suddenly said "ok everyone go to the left side of the raft!", so my boys all gravitated to the left. And I was wondering "huh?"..coz usually we do that only when we're stuck or something. And from the corner of my eye, I can see him smiling cheekily and pulling the right side of the raft to capsize us! Haha..but we foiled his attempt...hee. BUUUT, since we foiled his attempt to capsize all of us, he decided to just yank ME (out of the whole raft of 5 BOYS and me) into the water from behind. haiz. See what it resulted in??



Scraaaaatches..got them from scraping my shin against the little rocks and pebbles at the bottom of the river when I fell in.... :|






I guess that was fun too..even though I got sabotaged....








So this is us, at the end of the rafting, all smiles :)







OK, I'm tired of typing already. I shall blog about the caving in another entry..it's now time for lunch!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow...miss chow...hmmm...perak expedition so fun...
regretted i din go last year... :(

yan said...

It's ok dennis, you can still go next year as a Part C cadet ;)